This page describes the Quake server running at quake.argon.org.
There used to be a Quakeworld server as well, but I had to shut it
down. (Actually, I had to shut them both down, but Lon Koenig was
kind enough to let me move the POQ server to his machine at quake.schnoggo.com, connecting
to quake.argon.org forwards you to it.) If anybody can provide a
new home for the Quakeworld server, please let me know.
Here's a link to the
- Mon 2001-04-02
- Slot Zero has put up the new Artifact-RJS
- Thu 2001-03-22
- People who have been keeping score at home realize that I
haven't really been working on the mod for about a year now. I
haven't even been playing Quake, the only Quake-type thing I've
done is occasionally reboot the server and (sometimes!) answer
Many of you probably know that Slot Zero, in addition to
creating Rune Central, has
been working with the mod's source and releasing an updated version
I hate it when the current author of a package creates a forked
code base just because they might, someday, eventually, maybe, want
to work on the code again, and I don't want to be one of those guys.
I've asked Slot Zero to take over the official release, and I'm
happy to say he's taking me up on it.
Nick put a lot of time into the mod, then I put another lot of
time into it on top of that, and it deserves better than just to sit
idle. Hacking on the mod was great fun and kept me interested for
years. I hope Slot gets as much enjoyment out of authoring it as he
has out of kicking our butts while playing it.
- Wed 2001-03-21
- I've replaced my server list with a link to the server list at Rune
Central. I've also changed my forwarding to point to Dead Zone,
sorry for leaving it pointing at a dead server.
- Fri 2000-12-15
- Several server list updates from Slot Zero:
- He's provided a DNS entry for Cereal Killer's server, it's
- Gooland III is up at a new address, 18.104.22.168 at the
standard port, and it's now on a T1.
- The XOC server looks to be blocking @Home users.
- Wed 2000-12-13
- Cereal Killer's server is back up at 22.214.171.124, running 3.2.6.
- Thu 2000-12-07
- Ben Webber's server is up at totalquake.servequake.com.
- Tue 2000-12-05
- Mental D let me know that Widomaker (quake.widomaker.com) is
- Tue 2000-11-21
- I did a major cull on the server list. Looks like we're down to 4
servers. I set Marlinspike to forward to deathsdoor.runecentral.com,
which is a new server which replaced crazi.runcentral.com. Thanks to
Slot for letting me know Widomaker is gone and for letting me know
about the new server.
- Thu 2000-09-07
- Some people have started to ask after the Quakeworld
version, so I've released a development snapshot, version
3.2.6. I think the only significant difference is that it
contains the Quakeworld code, so there's no reason to switch
from 3.2.5 if you're running POQ. You can get it from the main page.
- The server at division1.net is gone. Thanks to Slot Zero
for the info.
- I've pointed quake.argon.org back at my forwarder, mainly
gets you to here again.
- Thu 2000-08-31
- Oops, the server I had been forwarding to was dead. Sorry
about that. I updated my forwarding to point to Widomaker. They
don't really need the traffic (I assume), but all the others in my
forwarding list were down, too!
- Wed 2000-07-26
- The quake.schnoggo.com name isn't working anymore, but the
server is still up. Thanks to Slot Zero for pointing this out.
I've updated the quake.argon.org name so that it points directly at
the server, rather than forwarding you when you connect to it, so
I'd suggest using that name instead for now.
- Thu 2000-07-20
- Chemical let me know that he's shut down achtung.ath.cx because
nobody was playing there.
- Wed 2000-07-12
- Whew! After several months of working almost non-stop, I am
finally done with the next phase of programming at my startup. Sorry
I have been neglecting the servers and my email. I'm starting to go
over the old mail now.
- On 6/21 Vinny wrote me that Gooland has a new address, it's
- At some point Crazicracker put up a server at
crazi.runecentral.com. Bizarrely, it's running version 3.1 of
- Tue 2000-05-23
- Slot Zero's Rune Central
is up and running, check it out. Also, the Lost Boys server is up at
126.96.36.199, it's run by HellRa1zer and Slot Zero. I'm going to set
my server to forward to it.
- Thu 2000-05-18
- Chemical's Achtung server has changed names again, this time to
- Mon 2000-05-15
- The quake.division1.net server is on port 26001 now (and has
been for a while, it seems). They've got Clanring running on port
- Wed 2000-05-03
- The problem with the Achtung server was that he doesn't have a
static IP address. He's using Dyndns now to maintain a static name,
it's achtung.dyndns.org. The admin is Chemical.
- Fri 2000-04-28
- Slot Zero spotted a couple of new servers. The first,
quake.lokinetworks.com, is running 3.2.5. The other, Achtung at
188.8.131.52, wasn't up when I checked.
- Thu 2000-04-27
- There's a new server, XOC_Runes at 184.108.40.206:26008. The
server admin is yugo2heck.
- Fri 2000-04-13
- There were two more partial connection attacks (the symptom being
hordes of "unconnected" players) this week. They aren't targetting us,
they seem to be hitting all the POQ servers they know. I've expanded
my ban to ban 220.127.116.11 255.128.0.0. Placing this in a
server's autoexec.cfg will prevent this attack from affecting a server
(at least in its current incarnation).
- Thu 2000-04-06
- There's a new server at quake.shadow.net, the admin contact is
to Chuck for helping them get set up. I'm going to change my server
to forward to them for a bit.
- Wed 2000-03-22
- There's a new server, Lithium Artifact-RJS, at
lithium.madmaniacs.com. I've set my server to forward to it because
Onion's is down. Akev, sorry I missed you on IRC, mail me if you
want to get on the announcements list or update your server list
- Tue 2000-03-21
- There's a new server, Onion's Artifact Quake Server, at
18.104.22.168. It's run by Cereal Killer. I'm going to set my
server to forward to that one for a bit to help him build up some
I've corrected the blood and gunshot particle problems which
were introduced with the QW merge.
- Mon 2000-03-20
- The Brazilian "unconnected" DOS people are back. FYI, since
they're using always the same source address, they can be nullified
by putting ban 22.214.171.124 255.255.255.0 in a server's
- Fri 2000-03-17
- ram2.infoave.net, which used to run Singe's version, is up and
running 3.2. (They were up and down over the past couple of weeks,
though, and I haven't talked to them, so I don't know if they're
here to stay.)
- Tue 2000-03-14
- About the first changes I made to the mod were to have your
rune drop when you died, and to make a particular rune always used a
particular model. I now think these were mistakes, because they
help good players more than they help poor players (the good players
can more easily get the powerful runes).
So, I've changed the server to use random runes and no death
dropping all the time. I've also set the drop delay to 30 seconds,
because this helps the process along. I know people will be pissed
off about this, but I think it's good for the game.
- Tue 2000-03-07
- I've decided to put my development snapshots up for public
download on the web page. I'd been sending them to anybody who
asked anyway. I made a new snapshot on Saturday just before I
merged in the Quakeworld code. It's version 3.2.5, you can get it
from the main page.
- Sun 2000-03-05
- Yesterday I re-merged the QW branch from the main trunk (the QW
version had been forked off in November), and today I committed the
changes. Both servers are running from the same source now.
- Fri 2000-03-03
- I've got the Quakeworld version of the mod up and running
at Schnoggo! It's still quite rough around the edges, but I
figure the best way for me to get the gumption to fix it is if
I'm actually playing it. It's at qw.argon.org (which is really
just the same machine), and it's listed with the standard master
servers. If you haven't played Quakeworld before you'll need Windows
Quakeworld 2.30 or the equivalent.
- Sun 2000-02-20
- There's an alternate to high track riding mode based on
weighted frag rate instead of the number of frags. This replaces
high track as the default riding mode, hitting 5 a second time
puts you in high track mode, then 5 a third time starts cycling
through the players.
- Oops, on Friday I introduced a bug with the twirly head
weirdness. It's fixed now.
- Sat 2000-02-19
- You can (slowly) push a monk out of your way. If the monk
pushes back he leaves trance and is vulnerable. So, if a monk
is blocking a doorway, push them while attacking. There were
some weirdnesses with this in testing. I've tried to work
around them, but we'll have to see if the workaround works in
the real world. I don't completely trust it since I don't
understand the need for it.
- Oops, you could place radiation spots which overlapped,
thanks to Slot Zero for the bug report. This bug was introduced
on Wednesday. I had changed them both from MOVETYPE_FLY to
MOVETYPE_NONE, and from SOLID_TRIGGER to SOLID_NONE. The .solid
change caused them to become invisible to findradius(), though,
I just needed to change that back.
- Users of the quad rune can queue a quad while one is still
- The hook chain links point along the chain rather than rotating.
- Fri 2000-02-18
- Riders who drop from weirded people no longer stay weirded.
- The rune-tell commands works to remove a displayed "No Rune"
message or other rune description which was already centerprinted
for the last time.
- The bomb shows rockets rather than nails as your current
- If you drop a torch trap in water there's a small delay
before you can re-deploy it, to prevent people from creating
massive clouds of bubbles and lagging everybody out. Thanks to
Slot Zero for the bug report.
- Wed 2000-02-16
- All of a torch's attacks have some chance of setting the
victim on fire.
- The lumberjack axe does 110 damage rather than 99.
- Radiation points can't be pushed out of the map by setting
them under a lift any more. Previously if you did this, they
could irradiate a large portion of the level! This has been
there the whole time, thanks to Slot Zero for the bug report.
- Tue 2000-02-15
- The server is back up. I've turned off the server on port
26001 in anticipation of bringing up the Quakeworld server.
- You can't suicide as an observer.
- The blink rune is really fixed now, I think. Before it was
sometimes reblinking you when it shouldn't have, and vice versa.
- Previously if you activated your hook right after
teleporting, it would be dropped at the next tick. Similarly,
it would get dropped if you jumped out of the water (eg, after
getting the megahealth in the slime in The Wizard's Manse).
These and some similar hook bugs are fixed.
- Mon 2000-02-14
- Players can't join a game at the very start of a level,
instead they'll join the game queue and join once the map has
been up for 15 seconds. Before players were able to join a
full game if they joined before everybody had had a chance to
reconnect. Similarly, players can vote at the start of a level
but the votes won't be tallied until at least 15 seconds have
passed since the level started.
- Fire traps can no longer disappear in a corner (I hope).
- The death orb and lightning rune zaps are dropped while the
- The FORWARD_MAX_PLAYERS value from settings.qc can now be
set at run time via the noexit cvar. I needed this to be able
to use different values for this at different times of day on my
server because I can't figure out how to get at the current
- Sun 2000-02-13
- The machine the Quake server runs on was compromised today (in
ways unrelated to the Quake server), so it is offline at the moment.
We should be back up in a few days, on a different machine (a move
we were going to be making anyway).
- Thu 2000-02-10
- Here's the Windows
Quakeworld 2.30 distribution, for folks who want to help me test
out the Quakeworld version of the mod.
- Sun 2000-01-30
- I've moved the bomb, and added a new weapon (the mortar).
I changed the bomb so that it's the alternate for the 5 gun
rather than the 7 gun. In the mod I got it from (DM Plus) it
was on 5 gun and so was useful for unseating a camper on the
rocket launcher in e1m1, say. That was one of my favorite uses
for it. I added a mortar (almost like the one in Expert Quake)
as a new alternate for the 7 gun.
- People with the ice trap rune are immune to ice traps. Thanks
to Alex for the suggestion.
- You'll get out of a freeze trap faster if you start burning
after you're in it. Before the code only noticed if you were
burning when you triggered it.
- I've removed the bogus spawn point on e3m7 (The Haunted Halls)
which caused players to respawn where they died.
- I've removed the secret teleporters on e4m5 and e4m8 rather
than adding destinations for them.
- Fri 2000-01-28
- Oops, bombs atttached to people were hitting them even if they
respawned (not because I didn't think of this case, just because of
a stupid bug). This is fixed now. Thanks to Homer and Powerbilt
for helping me fix it, and to Homer for pointing it out.
- Thu 2000-01-27
- I've set vampires' extra health to rot more slowly, but
they again only get 5 health from non-mega health boxes.
- I've set the server to play the random rune variation on
Tuesdays. In this version of the game it's easy to find a rune,
but you can't tell what kind you're going to get, plus you have
to wait a while to get rid of your rune.
- Quake only does half damage to the attacker for shooting a
rocket at close range, and other kinds of radius damage. This
carried over to all the new kinds of radius damage, too, but I
don't think that's great. I've changed it so that you're only
protected in this way for some of your attacks. The actual list
used is the same list which monks are protected from. This
includes grenades and rockets and a couple of other things, but
notably not bombs.
- Mon 2000-01-24
- I've diabled the damage-based scoring.
- The vampiric rune needs to be beefed up a bit after the
recent change. For now I've made it so that vampires get full
value from health boxes. If this isn't good enough I'll probably
either make their extra health rot slower, or allow them to steal
(some percentage of) damage done to armor.
- Weapon selection will consider non-flaming weapons if
you're under water, even if you have them set to flaming as
their primary mode.
- Weapon selection prefers flaming weapons for torches.
- Sun 2000-01-23
- A long standing Quake bug left corpses/heads of people who
had quad glowing under some circumstances, this is fixed.
- If you kill somebody with a pet shambler, the shambler gets
very annoyed. It appears over its fallen master's body and gets
a bit of quad and a hankering for your head. It goes away after
a little bit, or when it gets killed.
- Bombs stick to people instead of exploding immediately.
The functionality of this works fine, but there's a problem
with the way it bomb looks when it moves around under some
circumstances. See the bug list for info.
- Runes are no longer lost when a pack rat disconnects from
the game. Thanks to Obs. for the bug report.
- Oops, the rune of divine wind was counting against you in
damage match mode. This is fixed.
- Sat 2000-01-15
- Vampires can't get more health from their victims than
their victims possess.
- When the game assigns you random colors it won't set you
to red/blue or blue/red or the like, so that you won't get
kicked by Qsmack's prohibition on such combinations. (This was
actually in place a few days ago.)
- In damage-based frag scoring, you don't get any credit
towards frags for attacking pets.
- Thu 2000-01-13
- Here's a more verbose description of the damage-based scoring:
The rules are simple, but some of the implications are surprising.
Eg, piercing becomes a much less desirable rune because you get less
benefit from each kill.
- You get credit for doing damage to other players, regardless
of whether you're damaging their health or their armor.
- You lose credit for doing damage to yourself, be it by
suicide, rocket jumping, swimming in lava, or whatever.
- A frag is equal to 150 points of damage. You have a running
counter of damage done which hasn't added up to a frag yet. If
it climbs to 150 you get a frag, if it drops to -150 you lose a
frag. You can get multiple frags from a single kill (by killing
somebody with 300 health with kamikaze or berserk or quad, eg).
The damage-based scoring is going to be left in the mod as an
option. It will default to off. I haven't decided whether I'm
going to leave it on or not. I'll be leaving it on at least for a
little while to get a feel for it and to iron out the bugs.
- Wed 2000-01-12
- There's a new rune, Jack of All Runes. It gives you the
abilities of a number of other runes but in less potent form.
So far it gives you some of the features of regen, good health,
resistance, strength, haste, piercing, and action movie arsenal.
I'll probably be adding more effects.
- I've made a first pass at damage-based scoring. When it is
enabled you get a frag for every 150 points of damage that you
do. Damaging yourself counts against you, you lose a frag for
each 150 points of self-inflicted harm. (These aren't tracked
separately, though, they just add to or subtract from the same
counter.) Damage done to pets only counts 1/3 as much. Damage
done by your pets counts for you at full strength. There are
probably still some bugs with the implementation.
- Sat 2000-01-08
- There's a new rune, the Rune of Quad Damage, thanks to Slacker
for the suggestion. It's like the shielding rune, but with quad.
- Fri 2000-01-08
- Cloaked bombs don't tick.
- Wed 1999-12-29
- Houngans get 5 zombies, and when you switch ridees the rune
type is displayed.
- Thu 1999-12-09
- I've created the long-discussed rune of good armor. When you
have this rune all the armor you get counts as red armor, plus you
can hold a ton of the stuff. Quake won't display an armor value
over 255, though. So, I've set it to use the armor color to give
you an idea of how much armor you've got. If you have this rune
then your status bar shows green armor for armor values from 0
through 255, yellow armor for 256 through 511, and red armor for
512 through 767.
- Tue 1999-11-30
- I fixed a bug which was allowing people to chat spam without
being kicked. It's still possible to chat spam with somebody else's
name and get them kicked for it, so if you see anybody doing that
let me know and I will ban them (just tell me approximately when you
saw it happen (and what time zone you're in), I can get the rest of
the info I need from the logs). I've added several dozen such bans
since the end of last week, so most of these guys should be handled
- Mon 1999-11-29
- Chuck spotted a new server, it's at shell.expressramp.com.
It's run by Xavier.
- Tue 1999-11-16
- +sattack-best is a new switch firing command which uses
your best safe weapon. Thanks to Slot Zero for the idea.
I screwed up all the other +sattack* commands when I implemented
this, though. They're fixed again now.
- best-weapon chooses the axe for lumberjacks. I actually
made this change last week sometime, but I forgot to mention it
- Thu 1999-11-05
- If you try to attack with an alternate weapon for which
you don't have enough ammo, you'll switch to your best weapon
instead of automatically using the non-alternate form of the
weapon you've got selected. So, if you try to use a BFG under
water when you don't have enough cells, you won't zap yourself.
- Players with environmental protection are saved from barrels
and squishing, and they don't trigger spike shooters.
- Oops, the repulsion rune wasn't pushing your grenades!
This was broken even in 3.2, it wasn't caused by my more recent
change to this rune.
- Fri 1999-10-22
- The repulsion rune pushes much more powerfully.
- The intermission doesn't exit just because a new client connects.
- Thu 1999-10-14
- Artifact-RJS 3.2 is released! Get it from the usual place.
- Wed 1999-10-13
- There's a new server, The Swamp, run by Slow Target. It's at
- Mon 1999-10-11
- The team-stats command displays the winning team's lead.
- Admins can put a player into a full game with the new
- Invincible people can burn. This is especially important
for protected spawnees hitting torch traps.
- Sun 1999-10-10
- Monks standing in water should be able to trance again.
- You can't set your teammates on fire if both health and
armor are being protected.
- Sat 1999-10-09
- Fire traps are easier to trip.
- Previously you could keep attacking with lighting and the
nail guns if you didn't release the attack key when you got
shootphobia, hit a freeze trap, or entered intermission. This
- Health decay after dropping good health or lumber was
- Fri 1999-10-08
- You won't pick up a worse armor type if you have regen,
even if there's more of it.
- Make monks vulnerable to radius damage except that explicitly
protected, rather than the reverse. Protect from rocket radius,
grenade radius (split a direct hit into a second case, as rockets
do), discharge, and death spot and fire trap explosions.
- Meditating monks won't drown. Non-meditating monks can
stay underwater longer.
- It used to be that the last person to burn somebody got
credit for the damage. This has been changed so that credit
goes to the person who originally set the target on fire.
- Your rune is removed when you die, except for phoenix and
vampire. This isn't supposed to cause any player-visible
changes, it's just a code fragility improvement. Eg, it used
to be the case that a player lying dead or disconnected could
leave a gravity well out forever, that wouldn't have been
possible if Singe had written the code this way. This change
probably introduced some bugs of its own, though, so please be
extra vigilant and let me know if you spot any problems.
- A few weeks ago I made it so that the gravity rune can't be
used on e1m8 (Ziggurat Vertigo).
- Mon 1999-10-04
- There's a new server, Rune Igloo, at cedric.vabo.cz (so it'll
be usable mosly for European users).
- Mon 1999-09-13
- There's a new rune, the Pack Rat rune, thanks to Powerbilt for
the idea. You can pick up extra runes and carry them around. (You
don't actually use them, you just carry them.) This helps you in
You can't pick up a rune if you killed the owner (that would make it
too easy for good players). We're probably going to add the ability
for pack rats to make other players drop their runes, too.
- If you pick up enough, you get bonus frags for every kill.
By default you get 1 bonus frag for each 33% of the runes which
you're holding, so with the default maximum of 16 runes you'll
get 1 bonus frag per kill if you have 6 to 10 runes, 2 bonus
frags for 11 to 15 runes, and 3 bonus frags for each kill if
you've got all 16 runes. On my server there are only 8 runes
maximum, so you get 1 frag for 3, 2 for 6 and 3 for all 8.
- The runes you hold are kept out of the game, so it gets
harder for the other players to get runes. Of course, that will
make you a juicy target for the runeless multitudes.
- In team games, you can give the runes to your teammates.
Use your rune-delete key to drop the runes you're carrying.
(Use it a second time to actually delete the pack rat rune, in
which case you can pick up one of the runes you were holding.)
- Sat 1999-09-11
- Some of these have been in place for a few days already.
- The BFG lava ball is placed a little lower so it doesn't
block your vision.
- Team frags are tracked as they happen. Previously they
were totalled from the current stats, so if you scored some
frags then changed teams your new team would get credit for
them. That's no longer the case.
- You can't switch with a teammate.
- Water hurts torches more.
- Meditating monks don't get the yellow dot effect, but they
make a noise when you hit them. Monks also make a noise a few
seconds after they last attack, when they're able to meditate
- Fire runes (torch and fire walking) won't appear under water.
- The damage done by the hook can be specified separately for
rune, Lithium and free hook modes. The defaults cause the rune
hook to 25% more damage, and the Lithium hook to hurt 66% less.
The free hook still doesn't hurt at all, but you can change this
by editing settings.qc.
- Oops, monks weren't hurting themselves with splash damage,
and weren't able to rocket jump.
- The color shift applied to cloaked and shielded players is
- Regular burning people get out of ice traps faster. This
was already the case for people with the fire walking and torch
- Mon 1999-09-06
- There are two new runes, thanks to Powerbilt who wrote them.
- Zen Monk: You're mostly invulnerable if you stand still if
you haven't attacked for a few seconds. You're still vulnerable
to kamikaze, berserk, and BFG blast/hit attacks. Damage doesn't
move you around. Plus, of course, you don't take damage from
- Human Torch: You're on fire, bumping into people can set
them on fire, but more so than if you were just burning. Attacks
you do with flaming weapons do more damage. You can toss flaming
traps which ignite people when they're triggered. For you water
is like lava, and lava like water.
- Tue 1999-08-24
- House of Happy! is now using Dynodns, so you can refer to it by
name rather than by address. The name is quake.dynodns.net.
- Mon 1999-08-23
- House of Happy! moved, it's now at 126.96.36.199.
- Mon 1999-08-16
- To stop the server from crashing when it plays e1m7, add
precache_model ("progs/armor.mdl"); to the precache
statements in worldspawn() in world.qc, somewhere near line 330
in the version from 3.1. Or, disable armor dropping. It's
caused by armor dropping on a level which doesn't have armor.
Sorry about this.
- You don't get hurt when you attack somebody who has
vengeance when you've got the self preservation rune.
- Fri 1999-07-23
- There's a new rune, the Rune of Self Preservation, thanks to
Camouflage and Mental for the idea. When you've got it your own
attacks don't hurt you. (This is nicer than the buggy teamplay
1 rules, not even your armor is affected.) This lets you be a
real menace with the BFG and (on servers which haven't disabled
it) underwater discharge, and of course it's a rocket jumper's
- Hasted BFG shots travel faster (in addition to taking less
time to warm up as they always have).
- Tue 1999-07-13
- There's a new server, The Darkside 2, at 188.8.131.52. The
admin is Greaseman.
- Mon 1999-07-12
- There's a new rune, the rune of armor piercing, thanks to Korn
for the idea. Your attacks ignore your opponent's armor. This is
nice both in that it lets you kill them more easily (most people die
with just 1 rocket), and in that there's more armor left for you
when they die. This might be too powerful in its raw form, we'll
see how it plays.
I've set Qsmack to kick people with red/blue or blue/red colors.
- Tue 1999-07-06
- There's a new vote-team command, it works like vote-exit. If
you use it while team play is off you'll vote to turn it on, and
vice-versa. Admins can control what team play mode is used, and the
percentage of players required to change modes, via settings.qc.
They can also lock the current team mode in by setting a teamplay bit
(or by using a teamplay value which isn't one of the two possibly set
by voting). Thanks to Obs. for the idea.
- Mon 1999-07-05
- The time has happened, Lon moved the machine from his ISP to
his new apartment (where he's got megabit DSL). It was down from
about 18:25 till 22:15 Eastern (the machine was actually up for an
hour and a half at that point, I just didn't notice to start the
servers). Some people will surely have better connections to the
new location, and some worse. Let's hope it's more of the former!
If you're connecting by IP address rather than name, shame on
you. I'll tell you the new address anyway, though, since Quake has
a bug with connecting to machines on non-standard ports using names
rather than addresses. It's 184.108.40.206.
- Sat 1999-07-03
- There's a new server (running 3.0, though) at 220.127.116.11.
- Tue 1999-06-29
- There's a new server, it's at quake.hypnotic.net.
- Mon 1999-06-28
- Oops, in free hook mode the hook can't activate buttons or
open secrets. As a simple fix edit the ChainTouch() function in
hook.qc and change if (!HOOK_DAMAGE || free_hook_mode ())
to if (other.takedamage == DAMAGE_AIM && (!HOOK_DAMAGE ||
free_hook_mode ())). In my version I've made some other fixes
(it hits the player once even when this case is trigered, and it
makes the hitting noise).
- Sun 1999-06-27
- Artifact-RJS 3.1 is released! Get it from the usual place. Late-breaking changes
- Pets get the quad/invulnerable sound (though not the glow,
adding that would be hard to do right and I don't have the time
- Some monsters weren't choosing the right kind of attack,
or the right way to attack.
- Sat 1999-06-26
- I'm probably going to do the release tomorrow, so please let me
know about any problems you spot right away.
- Adminstrators can change the level via the menus.
- Monsters can't see cloaked/camouflaged people.
- I fixed up the shamblers, including their behavior in team
mode. Let me know if you see them misbehaving.
- Shamblers automatically become unstuck if they appear in
walls by themselves (but not if you place them there).
- Multiple shambler syndrome is fixed.
- Fri 1999-06-25
- Several changes from Powerbilt:
- The lumberjack rune causes you to do 1.1 times as much damage,
like the impact rune.
- Quad and invincibility transfer to your pets (shamblers and
- Explicitly thrown weird bubbles go much farther and faster.
Also, I changed them not to take your velocity into account, so
if you throw one while running backwards it will still go (from
your perspective) forwards.
- If you're grappling and you lose your hook (if somebody
switches with you, eg) you won't stay grappled.
- There's a new splash screen. Its contents can be easily changed
via a few strings in settings.qc.
- The electric rune doesn't zap invincible people who have no
armor. I probably wouldn't make this change if it were just for
invulnerability, but it affects spawn protection, too.
- I think the bug which would sometimes cause you to get
fragged for trying to change teams if you joined right after
connecting is fixed. Let me know if you see that happen.
- Wed 1999-06-23
- There's a new server at quake.io.com, the admin email
address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check out the improved zombies. Their shots do more
damage, and they account for height differences and gravity,
throw farther, notice people behind them, and do rudimentary
- Mon 1999-06-21
- I've worked around a bug which allowed too many runes to
appear in the level. I couldn't figure out how to actually fix
it, see the comments in the Todo file.
- Admins will see other admins (both when riding or being
ridden, and when using show-players). Admins are told when
somebody tries to become an admin (regardless of whether they
succeed or fail).
- Sun 1999-06-20
- There are two more servers (!). House of Happy! is at
18.104.22.168, the server admin is email@example.com.
Jester's Chaos is at quake3.microgear.net, I don't have any
contact info (mail me if you do).
- I cut half of the attack frames for zombie campers, so they
attack more frequently. I think the next things are to make
them notice people behind them faster and to give them a longer
- I've dropped the admin-kick-hard command. I'd originally
written this function to deal with people who changed their
client's disconnection function so that the game couldn't kick
them. Now that I'm kicking people via localcmd() it is no
longer necessary for that, plus I've been getting complaints
about people using it indiscriminantly.
- The team-change command works whenever enforced teams are
active. Before it would only work if you were allowed to switch
to any team, now it will work even if you're only allowed to
switch to smaller teams (switching you if there is a smaller
team, doing nothing otherwise).
- The show-riders command tells riders who else is riding the
person they're on.
- Sat 1999-06-19
- I spotted another new server, it's at 22.214.171.124. Again,
if anybody has any contact info for this server (web page or
admin email address) please let me know.
- You drop any armor you have left when you die. The
resulting armor acts like normal armor in that you won't pick
it up if it contains less total protection than you've got
already. An alternative would be to have it add to your
current armor (scaled, of course), but I think this way is
better because it helps good players less than others (the
others need the armor more, good players already prioritize
- There's a new team-stats command to show the team scores.
It runs automatically at the end of the level if team mode is
- Before players couldn't use the "init" alias to send impulse
commands, that's fixed now. To automatically join the game when
you connect, do "alias init impulse 2".
- If you finished a level while switchfiring the lightning
gun or one of the nail guns, you'd keep firing all through the
intermission, using up your ammo. This is fixed.
- Using the hook decloaks you.
- Fri 1999-06-18
- Here's a Gamespy
tab for Artifact-RJS.
- I spotted a new server, quake.icx.net. They're running a
random rune variation over there, which I love. If anybody has
contact info for this server (email or web page) let me know.
- When the server is in team mode it tells you that and gives
you a summary of the settings when you join the game.
- The rune description isn't removed from your screen when
you attack, jump or use the hook as it used to be, but it only
stays on the screen for at most 5 seconds (instead of 9.5).
rune-tell and rune-use both still remove it from the screen.
- Thu 1999-06-17
- The server at quake.widomaker.com is running version 3.0 of the
mod now, it used to run regular Artifact. It has a weg page at http://games.widomaker.com,
the admin is LunarPig
- Wed 1999-06-16
- There was a bug in the code which was supposed to turn teamplay
on on Wednesdays (the teamplay from the previous level was
overriding that in startlevel.cfg), so team play didn't get on until
I noticed at 22:30 Eastern or so. Sorry about that.
I added a mode which allows the top dog to change teams. I
don't know if it'll be worth keeping, let me know what you think.
Zombies would stay placed if you lay dead or left the game while
you had the rune, this is fixed.
- Mon 1999-06-14
- Vamps only get back damage they do to other players' health,
not damage they do to their armor. This also fixes the bug with
vamps taking health from invulnerable people.
- The lumberjack gets a little more health (max 250) and some
more reach with the axe.
- You keep your hook and current weapon (if possible) when
you respawn with phoenix or vamp.
- You keep your current weapon if possible when you switch
- You swap lithium hooks when you switch with somebody.
- The radiation and jumping runes take your view offset into
account. (You'll be hit if your head, not the center of your
body, is visible.)
- I finally found the cause of the bug which prevents the
server from changing levels sometimes (and which also leaves
the game in a state in which players can't respawn or jump,
and aren't harmed by liquids). See the comments at the new
changelevel() in rjs.qc if you're interested.
- Fri 1999-06-11
- The server will run in team mode on Wednesdays from now on.
- When an admin uses the exit-level command the game prints a
message letting players know who did it.
- Wed 1999-06-09
- The rune description will go away after about 9 seconds,
even if you don't jump, fire, or use rune-tell.
- Zombie campers have been beefed up some more. It's harder
to knock them down, they don't flinch as much, and they do more
damage with each piece of dead flesh they whack at you.
- Mon 1999-06-07
- You receive a message when you have a radiation point, ice
trap, death spot, or hologram expire if you still have the rune.
- Using the hook turns the rune message off.
- You can't grapple players in free hook mode.
- The zombie campers have had some bug fixes and have been
beefed up a bit (they can't be killed at all, they get up
more quickly, and you can move them).
- Sun 1999-06-06
- There's another new rune, the houngan rune. If you activate
it you'll place a zombie camper. The zombie works like a zombie
in the normal game, but it doesn't move. You can have three of
them at a time. Thanks to Tom Coleman for the idea. (A houngan
is a Vodun (aka Voodoo) priest.)
- You're protected from damange for a few seconds when you
spawn (unless you attack or pick up something).
- Flaming missiles (from the lava gun and flamethrower) can't
pass through water anymore.
- Pentagram dropping (by committing suicide, eg) was totally
- Sun 1999-05-23
- Tom Coleman, I tried writing to you about the runes you sent
me, but the mail bounced. Please get in touch.
- Fri 1999-05-14
- The rune description stays on your screen until you jump, fire,
or use the rune-tell command to toggle it off.
- Tue 1999-05-11
- If you kill somebody with a barrel you get credit for it.
Further, barrels respawn.
show-players shows if a player has voted to exit.
- Sat 1999-05-08
- You keep your ridee accross levels.
- If the player you're riding leaves the game or becomes an
observer you will stop riding or (if in hightrack mode) switch
to the new top dog.
- The server uses localcmd() to kick players now, rather than
stuffing a "disconnect" command, so players won't be able to
- Hooking players is completely disabled if you set HOOK_DAMAGE
to 0 in settings.qc and recompile.
- Thu 1999-05-06
- The intermission will exit automatically after a while.
Players who sit idle as corpses will automatically become observers
after a while. This is nice for full games (it lets somebody else
join), and it helps vote counting, level size selection, forced teams,
and the like work better.
- Wed 1999-05-05
- Use "vote-exit" if you want to exit the current level. If
enough players do the same the server will do it.
Previously if you died with a gravity well out you could lie
dead and the well would stay there indefinitly (unless you happened
to have exactly 0 health when you died). This is fixed.
- Sun 1999-05-02
- There's a new server running the mod, quake.mc.net. The admin me
a /msg about this on IRC just as I was going to bed, but I was too
tired to respond, plus I didn't note who he was! Please contact me if
you want me to add you to the announcement list or expand your entry
in the server list.
- Fri 1999-04-23
- There's a new rune, the lumberjack rune, thanks to PowerBiltx.
It ups your maximum health to 200 and gives your axe better reach
and much more damage.
- Sat 1999-04-17
- I've added Qsmack support to the code to allow me to do more
flexible banning. I hate having been pushed to this, but that bot
lowlife wouldn't go away. See the Qsmack page
if you're interested in it.
I need to work on the configuration a bit (to allow the Qsmack
player not to have a name, eg), but it's already set up to ban all
his ISP's IP blocks. If you see him connected let me know the IP
address he's connected from (using the "status" command).
I also set Qsmack to kick people with newlines in their names,
I'd wanted to add that to my wrapper for a while.
- Tue 1999-03-16
- There's a server running 3.0 called GooLand III, it's at
126.96.36.199:24674. It's running non-forced team mode (though
it's Id's original buggy team mode in which you can't hurt
yourself, which is much worse with Artifact (consider berserk,
- Sat 1999-03-06
- I think I'm about ready to come off of my long Quake hiatus.
Expect some updates soon.
There's a new server, it's at quake.metrocentre.net. It's run
by 1KrazyFool and and Phantim.
- Tue 1999-02-02
- The server on port 26000 now runs 24 hours, but with a 4
player limit during the times at which it used to be down. Due to
limitations in Quake it has to reboot at those times to change the
maximum number of players, reconnect to continue playing.
- Mon 1999-01-18
- Two new servers are running the mod, both on version 3.0:
Welcome to both. If anybody knows of other new servers, let me
know and I'll add them here and to the server list.
- South Park Quake at 188.8.131.52. Brian used to run the mod
but his server was down for a while.
- The division1 clan server, at quake.division1.net.
- Sat 1999-01-16
- Artifact-RJS 3.0 is released! Get it from the usual place.
- Wed 1999-01-13
- I've put a break on the blink rune. You can blink quickly
a few times, but if you keep doing it you'll have to wait longer
and longer between blinks. The delay between them times out, it
times out faster if you use it less often.
- If you switch from being a vampire to being an observer,
your health used to rot. This is fixed.
- A couple of switch fixes: You don't remain glowing if you
get switched with while you have a powerup, and superhealth
rotting works after switches.
- Tue 1999-01-13
- Previously your color would be screwed up if you ended a
level frozen or with shields on.
- You can select the grappling hook by selecting the axe
twice (unless you've disabled weapon toggles, of course).
- rune-tell and the HUD both indicate if you've got a
- You can't launch multiple hooks at once. If you throw a
second one, or release the first, the first is really deleted.
- Your hook disappears if you teleport before it strikes (it
used only to do that if you teleported after).
- Mon 1999-01-12
- There's an optional mode which provides a Lithium-style
hook. I'm running this mode on my server, at least for now.
Vore balls (little spiky purple balls) appear on the level,
picking one up gives you a hook. There's one of these for every
three players (rounding up -- 7 players means 3 hooks). You
don't drop the hook when you die, so just have to get lucky to
- Environmental protection guards against being set on fire
(though you still get damaged by being hit by flaming missiles).
- You don't be get the "You are on fire!" message if you're
under water. Oops.
- weapon-toggles is a new command which toggles the state of your
weapon toggles. You can also call it as weapon-toggles-toggle.
This is just like the menu command which does that, but you don't
have to be an observer to use it. Similarly for the admin command
- Sun 1999-01-10
- Major rewrite of all code related to burning. The
flamethrower and lava guns do less damage when they hit you.
You can hurt yourself with them. There are multiple levels
of burning, the longer you'll be burning for the more damage
is done per unit time. If you touch a burning player you
might be set on fire.
- The red and blue keys have been reversed, the blue key is
used for weapon modes and the red key for riders. This is in
anticipation of using both for weapon modes.
- The show-settings command includes the new switches.
- Yesterday I forgot to mention that the red pain flash and
head jerk is properly transferred to riders now.
- Sat 1999-01-09
- I'm gearing up for the next release, concentrating on bug
fixing and documentation and adding a few last features.
- Riders start out in hightrack mode. In this mode you'll
automatically ride the player with the highest frags. If you
hit 5 again to switch ridees you'll leave hightrack mode. Hit 4
to stop riding then 5 to ride again to get back into hightrack
- Oops, hook-toggle worked even if you didn't have the hook!
I spotted this while riding Lightning. A big raspberry to him
for thinking he could fool me into thinking he had the hook rune
even though rune-tell showed he had death spots.
- You don't get the red pain flash or head jerk if you get
hit but don't actually take any damage. This mostly affects
playing in team mode.
- You don't get the "This area is radioactive!" message if
you're not actually being hurt. This affects both team mode and
players with the environmental protection rune.
- The twirly head weirdness transfers to riders.
- The quad finishing sound is precached, so it will appear
for players with the phoenix rune on quadless levels such as
- Suiciding doesn't automatically respawn you. This is
useful in general (since you can suicide then become an
observer, eg) and it also fixes several bugs (such a suiciding
while frozen), as many runes trigger off the intermediate dead
- Wed 1999-01-06
- The game starts an hour later now, at 6:30 PM Eastern. The
number of players is back like before (10 players and 6 observers)
and the forwarding has been turned off.
There seems to be a packet loss problem, though. This causes the
game to appear slower and more jerky. They're going to try to work
on this. Lon is probably going to move the server again next month,
though, so even if this can't be fixed it should be temporary.
- Mon 1999-01-04
- Schnoggo has moved to a new location, but the DNS entry wasn't
changed to expire quickly first so connecting to quake.schnoggo.com
might not work for a couple of days depending on your local setup.
You can connect to quake.argon.org in the meanwhile and you'll be
forwarded to the server.
- Sat 1999-01-02
- I believe I've fixed the bug which caused observers to join the
game (but unable to do anything) at the start of levels sometimes.
- Tue 1998-12-22
- You can't hook a teammate, and in free hook mode you drop
the hook if you blink or if the target teleports or blinks.
- New command, hook-toggle. It behaves like the button does
when you've got the hook rune.
- Sun 1998-12-20
- I added weapon toggles as an another way to get at the
alternate weapons. That is, pressing the 3 key repeatedly
switches between the regular 3 gun and the alternate 3 gun.
You can disable these via a menu command (I'll add a regular
impulse to do it soon). I actually did this last weekend, but
I forgot to write about it here.
- I merged in Hawke's flash grenades. They look like
grenades, but they glow (and they make a different sound when
launched). If you're looking at (or nearly at) one when it
explodes you're blinded for a few seconds. Use the alternate
6 gun to fire them. They use 3 rockets.
- Sat 1998-12-05
- I merged in a patch from Hawke, plus worked on the code myself
a bit. Changes include:
- A HUD. This still needs work, so it isn't on by default,
and there's no way to adjust the screen position yet. Use
hud-toggle to try it.
- Rune of athletics.
- New admin menu and commands.
- Fixes for the lava gun, and the blobs arc now.
- Spiffy menu colorizations.
- Environmental protection is proof against gravity.
- The flamethrower and lava guns bubble and don't chew ammo
when fired underwater.
- Sat 1998-11-28
- The hook bug is fixed, and there's a new remove-frags command.
- Tue 1998-11-24
- The server has moved to port 26000, still on Lon's machine,
and it's limited to 9 players. Hawke's server (on 26001) is also
limited to 9 players. The ISP had a tizzy about bandwidth usage.
This might not be the final configuration, stay tuned for more
- Sun 1998-11-15
- I added the chat spam kicking functionality to my expect
wrapper. You'll be kicked if you talk 3 times in 1 second or 5
times in 5 seconds.
- Mon 1998-11-02
- Vampires can get health from non-mega boxes again, but they
only get 5 points per.
- Thu 1998-10-29
- Vampires can't use 15 or 25 point health boxes.
Megahealth boxes aren't directly involved in rotting your health
any more, so they always respawn after the same amount of time (60
- Wed 1998-10-28
- The haste runes makes the flames from the flamethrower travel
farther instead of making you shoot them faster.
The level selection code was broken for non-random sized map
selection (which is what I use), it is fixed. I'm embarrassed that
it took me so long to fix this bug.
- Tue 1998-10-27
- I'm rewriting the code which is used to select weapons. The
first fallouts from this are that the weapon cycling commands cycle
through the alternate guns, you can select the alternate weapons with
particular impulses if you like (commands weapon9 through weapon16
for the alternates for the 1 through 8 guns, respectively), and you
can bind switchfiring keys for them (+sttack9 through +sttack16,
You don't drop a quad you got from the phoenix rune, you won't
lose quad/ring time if you pick one up which had less time that you
were going to be getting, and a quad/ring with less than 3 seconds
left won't drop at all.
The blink delay is now 0.5 seconds rather than 0.25 seconds.
- Sat 1998-10-24
- I've add a new weapon, the bomb from DM Plus. It's an alternate
for the 7 gun. It takes 10 rockets to fire. When you shoot it it
sticks to whatever wall it hits, then explodes 5 seconds later. It
does radius damage with a modified attenuation (it falls off less
rapidly). Enjoy the ominous ticking sound.
- Thu 1998-10-22
- I put in Quakeworld's quad and ring dropping (controlled by
DM_DROP_POWERUP, defaulting off). If it is enabled and you die
while you have a quad it pops out of your body and somebody can pick
it up. It will wear out at whatever time it would have worn out if
you hadn't dropped it (its clock keeps ticking even while it's lying
there on the ground). Similarly for rings.
- Wed 1998-10-21
- If you squish another player (such as in the killing boxes
in dm2 (Claustrophobopolis)) you get a frag for it, rather than
it counting as a suicide for them.
- If you telefrag somebody who has vengeance, you die.
- Id's code tried to make it fatal to try to telefrag an
invulnerable person, but the code had a bug and it didn't work.
It does now.
- Tue 1998-10-20
- I'm sorry to say that I've had to shut down the Quakeworld
server. Back in August we switched ISPs, and with the new contract
we pay based on how much bandwidth we use. At that time I looked
for new homes for the POQ and Quakeworld servers. I found a home
for the POQ server (it's now at quake.schnoggo.com:26002) but not
for the Quakeworld server.
We're charged for our 90% peak usage with 5 minute samples.
There's a cutoff point at 128k, and another at 256k. It costs
something on the order of $400 if we go over the 128k mark. If we
didn't have the Quakeworld server we'd be under that mark, so in
order to keep the Quakeworld server I've had to ensure that we stay
under it. I'm afraid that we're running too close to that line,
even with maxclients reduced to 4.
So, I've had to shut the Quakeworld server down. If anybody has
a line on someplace else where it can be hosted, please let me know.
It needs a network connection of T1 speed or better, and a machine
running one of the Unices for which a QW server is available.
- Sun 1998-10-18
- Some Artifact fixes, after a long hiatus:
- The obituaries are fixed, for both new weapons and old.
Eg, if you fire a rocket at somebody but then switch to the
shotgun and then the rocket kills them, the death message says
you killed them with a rocket, not with the shotgun. Also, the
missing obits for the new weapons are present. If you see an
incorrect obituary please let me know.
- The best-weapon command won't select the 3 or 4 gun in
alternate mode underwater, since they don't work there. I'd
still like to offer some better choices about how alternates are
- The BFG frag bug is fixed (getting killed by the BFG doesn't
count as a suicide any more).
- The lava gun (alternate for the nail gun) will light you up
properly. A bug was preventing it from setting players on fire
in almost all instances.
- The burning code has been tweaked to do more damage but to
do it less often. The total amount of damage done is almost
exactly the same. I made this change so that it would hit your
health if you had good armor (before it could come entirely out
of your armor).
- Fri 1998-08-28
- Knytehawkk sent me some more code, this time it's for some new
weapons. There are alternate weapons for the 3 (flame thrower), 4
(lava gun), 7 (guided missile) and 8 (not-quote-BFG) guns. For now
to use them you have to bind a key to "weapon-mode", using this will
switch the mode of the weapon you've got wielded. The standard
bindings now put this on the 9 key. I'll add some alternate methods
of selection soon.
- Thu 1998-08-27
- The hook is looking good, so I've switched it to being a rune
on my server. I also added a new way to use it, via hook-on and
hook-off impulses. Using the button acts as a toggle, and a +hook
binding activates it for as long as you've got that key held down.
- Wed 1998-08-26
- Thanks to Knytehawkk there's now a grappling hook. It can be
set so that everybody gets the hook, or the hook is a rune. The
server has it set so everybody gets it for now (for testing), I'll
change it to being a rune in a few days. Bind to +hook to use it.
(When it is a rune you can use either +hook or the regular rune-use
- Sun 1998-08-16
- Oops, my change to the map selection code in version 1.3 made it
so that you'd go to the start map after dm6, previously you'd loop
back to dm1. I've put the default behavior back the way it was and
introduced a new option to make dm6 go to the start map. To turn
this on set the 32 bit in your noexit value (NOEXIT_DM_NO_LOOP). This
setting will additionally make it so that if a player exits the start
map via the end exit the DM levels will play, and if the game chooses
the next map (via time or frag limit) it will play the DM levels in
between episodes 4 and 1.
I've released version 1.4 which contains this change.
- Sun 1998-08-16
- Artifact-RJS 1.3 is released, get it from the usual place.
- Sat 1998-08-15
- I'm preparing release 1.3 of the mod. It's running on my server
and quake.schnoggo.com now, it will be available for download tomorrow.
Here are the last changes which are included:
- The map selection code now chooses the DM maps after playing
episode 4, then loops back to episode 1 after running through
- Many of the large circular start/end level teleporters in
the game (the ones which are often associated with the secret
levels) have an extra teleport spot located just above them.
Some of these (on levels e4m5 and e4m8) have no destination, so
if you go into them the server crashes (on any server, this
isn't specific to this mod). I added the missing destinations
to prevent the crash.
- Wed 1998-08-12
- I got the server up and running on Lon's machine, so I went
ahead and installed the forwarder. The POQ server has been moved.
It's now at port 26002 on quake.schnoggo.com.
Quake has some weirdnesses in using alternate port numbers,
unfortunately (I think they've been fixed in QW). In order to
connect you'll need to use a command like connect
"184.108.40.206:26002". You need to use the quotes, and you
have to use the address rather than the name. Because of the
quotes you can't put this command in an alias. What I do is put
the command in a .cfg file and then create an alias which executes
the file. Most people will probably just use Qspy, in which case
you shouldn't have to worry about this stuff (I presume).
- Tue 1998-08-11
- I just got off the phone with Lon, he gave me my account on his
machine. His server is going to remain in place, I'll be setting up
a new one on it. Mine (Marlinspike) will run on an alternate port
(26002). It should be up within a couple of days.
- Mon 1998-08-10
- Great news! Lon Koenig, the fellow who runs quake.schnoggo.com, is
going to let me use his server to test new versions of the mod. This
should help keep the bugs down in the POQ version. When my server shuts
down I'll set it up to forward you to there. The current schedule makes
it look like I'll be shutting my server down on Monday the 17th.
- Wed 1998-08-05
- I'm sad to say that it looks like the regular Quake server
really is going to go away. We're in the middle of switching over
to our new ISP, and the new circuit is charged based on how much
bandwidth we use. I haven't spotted any way I can keep the server
running for less than $100 per month, and I don't care to pay that
much. The Quake server will probably be shut down next week.
I'm going to try to keep the Quakeworld server running. The
address might change so I've allocated the name qw.argon.org
for it. Please use this name if you connect by name. I might need
to lower the number of players allowed on this server to keep the
bandwidth requirements down.
I'm working on porting my Artifact code to Quakeworld. Once it
is ready for public use I'll be putting it on the Quakeworld
server. Sorry, Expert fans.
- Wed 1998-07-22
- Recent Artifact changes:
- The blink rune now blinks you onto a randomly picked item
rather than trying to pick a spot randomly. I think this makes
it a much more useful rune. It can still get stuck like it did
before, but in this case it now automatically reblinks you, so
you are guaranteed to move if you hit your rune-use button.
- Previously if you finished a level while switchfiring you
would start with the wrong (alternate) weapon selected on the
- There's additional code to prevent spawn frags. If all of
the regular spawn points are taken, the game will spawn you on a
weapon or an ammo or health box. You should never get spawn
fragged, even at the start of a level. There is a chance you'll
be spawned in a closed room, though, and have to wait until
somebody opens it up (or suicide).
- The colors used for the particle effects, such as death
spots and freeze traps, can be controlled via settings.qc.
- Wed 1998-07-15
- Artifact-RJS 1.2 is released, see the Artifact-RJS page. It is hot on the
heels of 1.1, mainly because of these bug fixes:
- My admin passcode was accidentally configured into the
progs.dat distributed with version 1.1. This release has the
admin passcode disabled (until you recompile with your own code)
as I'd intended.
- The rider's eyes are placed lower again, so they are less
visible. They're placed in the higher position only when
necessary to work around the vis bug.
- Your current ammo display (in the lower right hand corner)
wasn't updated when you got ammo from a weapon or backpack.
- Levels selected deterministically by the number of players
weren't being checked for repeats properly.
- When you respawned with the phoenix rune your weapon wasn't
- Under some circumstances (related to the phoenix and vampire
runes) you could die while switchfiring and come back up still
Also included are these new features:
- There's a new option, DM_NO_DISCHARGE. If set then using
a lightning gun under water, or jumping into water with the
electricity rune, only hurts the person who does it.
- Another new option (in settings.qc) controls whether the
code which selects the map by the number of players uses any
random variation (sometimes playing smaller levels with larger
number of players, and so on). The default is still the same
(to include the variation).
- exit-level is a new command, available only to players with
admin mode set, which exits the current level (as if the frag or
time limit were reached).