- Tue 1998-07-14
- The rider's eyes are placed lower again, so they are less
visible. They're placed in the higher position only when necessary
to work around the vis bug.
- Mon 1998-07-13
- Artifact-RJS 1.1 is released! As usual, you can get it from
the Artifact-RJS page. Here's the full changes file, and here are
just the late-breaking updates (stuff from this weekend):
- The electricity rune gives you 10 cells rather than 25
again, but it still generates a cell every 5 seconds. Also, you
don't get the initial stock of cells at the beginning of each
- The message you get when somebody with the teleport shuffle
rune switches places with you is "Someone tried to telefrag
you!" rather than "Someone stole your place!". I changed it
because I was always getting it confused with the switch rune
message ("You've switched places!") in the heat of the moment.
- When enforced team mode is switched off the game assigns
random colors to everybody. This helps people realize that
teams aren't active any more.
- Enforced team mode doesn't assign random shirt colors any
more. This helps people figure out that team mode is on much
- You won't get zapped when someone with the electric rune
jumps in the water if you're not in water yourself.
- When the action movie arsenal rune gives you a weapon
you'll switch to it if appropriate.
- The shambler rune is disabled in team mode, because it
isn't team aware yet.
- The server can be set to allow people with the electricity
rune to enter the water safely. This is controlled in settings.qc.
- The server can be set to allow rider-hide mode. In this
mode a player can choose not to let riders know what armor,
health and items he has. By default this is not available, the
server has to be configured to allow it. This is controlled in
- Thu 1998-07-09
- Several changes over the past few days:
- I've dropped the new spawn point selection code, the
resulting semantics were too problematic. I increased the
spawn frag detection radius on the old code when reinstating
- Several enforced team mode problems are fixed:
- Often observers were fragged when joining the game.
- It was sometimes possible to join the game as an
observer without being assigned to a team.
- Observers are now forced to remain color 0.
- If you picked up the flight rune while standing ankle deep
in slime or lava, you wouldn't stop being hurt even though you
left the liquid. This is no longer the case.
- The keys aren't copied from a ridee to a rider. This is in
anticipation of allowing people to ride observers, but that
still doesn't work.
- There's an administrator mode. Currently this allows you
to join a full game, and to ride people without their knowing
it. You'll need to assign a passcode and recompile if you want
to use this feature, see settings.qc in the source distribution
- The game's standard runes (in the last map of each episode)
- The rider's eyes are moved up a little to work around the
problems with seeing when your ridee is in waist deep water
(such as looking at the grenade launcher in the Ebon Fortress).
This causes the eyes to be visible a little more often, alas.
- The mod's version is appended to the teamplay variable, so
that servers running the mod can be spotted programmatically.
- Mon 1998-07-06
- I did a lot of work on Artifact over the weekend. 1.1 will be
released soon. Here are the recent changes:
- Weapons are placed a little higher rather than blinking
when they're charged with ammo. They drop again when somebody
taps them. I made this change because I couldn't figure out a
way to fix the weapons disappearing bug, but I like this effect
better anyway. Thanks to Rubberneck for the idea.
- Teleporters work for observers.
- Impulses work even when you are attacking. Normally Quake
ignores impulse commands while you're in the middle of an attack
animation (for most weapons) or while you're attacking at all
(for the nail and lightning guns). This makes things look a
little nicer (for the player, because of the weapon animation,
and from the outside, because of the player animation). It
causes impulse commands to be lost if more than one is sent to
the game before it checks for them, though (only the last one
received works). I've changed it so that the game always pays
attention to impulse commands, even if you're in the middle of
For most people, the most important thing this will affect
is that you can use your rune even while attacking. Eg, if
you shoot a rocket and then activate the shield rune, the
shield will come up immediately rather than waiting until the
rocket animation finishes.
Additionally, if you're using a complex binding scheme to
do client side switch firing, it will generally work better
because the only time an impulse command is lost is when two
are sent in the same game tick. Use the "wait" command to
make sure the impulses each arrive in a different tick.
- There's a new server side switch firing system in place
to allow easier and more robust quick-rocket and quick-grenade
and the like bindings. Eg:
bind s +sattack7 // quick rocket
bind d +sattack6 // quick grenade
You can use +sattack1 (axe) through +sattack8 (lightning
- There's a new command, best-weapon, which will make
current the best safe weapon for which you've got ammo.
- The idea for server side switch firing came from Expert
Quake. Part of what they were trying to solve is mostly fixed
by my other impulse command change, but I implemented the
switch firing anyway because combined with the best-weapon
command it becomes possible never to have to select a weapon
manually. If you bind keys for server side quick rockets and
quick grenades, then add a binding to best-weapon to use when
you enter or leave water, you won't have to manually select
weapons again. If you do select a weapon manually, though
(eg, to use the single shotgun with the haste rune) the game
will leave your selection in place (because I've got it set so
that the automatic weapon switching doesn't happen unless
you're wielding your best weapon).
- Previously, if you picked up a megahealth box and it
didn't put you over your maximum health (such as with the good
health rune) it would respawn in 20 seconds. It now respawns
in 60 seconds.
- The laser sight and chase cam, which were always buggy and
never documented, have been dropped.
- The blue key is properly removed if your rider leaves the
- The old bug which caused you to appear to stand still
while riding a lift or a moving platform while you had the
camo rune is fixed (but note that you are not invisible while
on a moving platform).
- The switch rune swaps your armor.
- Sometimes you would connect to the server and yet not be
able to pick up certain runes (you'd get the "This was your
rune" message). This is fixed.
- The game removes keys from maps (such as the buggy blue
key in Hell's Atrium).
- It's easy to customize a number of game settings,
including which maps the server will play, by editing the
settings.qc file and recompiling. Download the source
distribution if you want to do this. Instructions are at the
top of the settings.qc file.
- Alternately, you can set NOEXIT_MARLINSPIKE_LEVELS to get
the level selection that I use on my servers (regardless of
how levels are selected).
- Setting NOEXIT_CHOOSE_BY_NPLAYERS doesn't restrict the
levels to those I play on my server any more. Either edit the
settings.qc or use NOEXIT_MARLINSPIKE_LEVELS for that.
- Setting NOEXIT_CHOOSE_BY_NPLAYERS without
NOEXIT_RANDOMIZE works. The level which is played next is
based on how many players there are, but the levels are played
- The levels played by NOEXIT_RANDOMIZE on its own don't
repeat until most of them have been played.
- Sat 1998-06-20
- Artifact changes:
- The bug which caused the rocket launcher to be pushed
through the floor in the squish room in Hell's Atrium is fixed.
- The spawn spot selection code now chooses the spot which
maximizes the distance to the closest player. I intend this to
cut down on spawn camping and quick spawn deaths, and to be a
better solution for spawn frag protection. The algorithm might
need some tweaking, time will tell.
- Fri 1998-06-19
- Another two Artifact changes:
- You don't drop a backpack when you die with the phoenix rune.
- Both the dual teleport and recall runes store the direction
you are facing in addition to your position.
- Wed 1998-06-17
- Two Artifact changes:
- If you're a vampire and you leech up some health after you
die (by hurting somebody with a grenade you fired before you
died, for example), you come back to life.
- In weapons-stay mode you can get ammo from a weapon
even if you already have that type of weapon. The semantics
of how much ammo can be gotten from a weapon are just like
in normal weapons-respawn mode, except that you can always
get the weapon if you don't have it already. The weapons
blink if they're charged with ammo.
- Sun 1998-05-31
- Artifact-RJS 1.0 is released! Get it from the Artifact-RJS page. Late-breaking
- You're given a little description of your rune when its
name is shown to you.
- The dual recall rune gives you an upward pointing spike
over your head, so your opponents will know to try to stay away
- The bug which caused observers to join the game without
asking to is fixed.
- The bug which caused kills via explicit use of kamikaze to
report the wrong obituary is fixed (as is the obituary message
for gravity well kills).
- Sat 1998-05-30
- Artifact changes:
- The rune drop delay is more configurable. It can be set to
no delay, 5, 15, 30, 60, 120 or 240 seconds, or set so that you
can't drop runes at all.
I think that an interesting variation on the game is to disable
rune deleting, set random rune models, and set it so you don't
drop your rune when you die. I've got the server set this way
now, but it isn't permanent.
- The blink rune almost always works, and it won't put you
over slime or lava. It has a higher chance of blinking you to
somewhere nearby, though, so it still needs work.
- Mon 1998-05-25
- There's a new command, show-settings, which tells you the state
of the mod's configurable options.
- Fri 1998-05-22
- Artifact tweaks: The electric rune generates one cell every
five seconds, and the shielding rune recharges in four and a half
rather than six seconds.
- Tue 1998-05-19
- I made some big changes to Artifact-RJS over the weekend.
- The observer and rider modes are working just about as I'd
like. (The main problems remaining are the choppiness and that
you can see a pair of eyes if the person you're riding runs
backwards.) You can freely switch between playing, observing
and riding (though you can only switch from playing when you're
- You start off as an observer with a menu. The menu system
contains instructions on how to play the game and a description
of the commands. There's a option on the menu which will bind a
set of standard keys to the Artifact commands.
- The server defines aliases for the impulse commands when
you connect. The current aliases are:
- It's possible to set the server to limit the number of
players in the game. I've set my server to allow only 10 people
to play (as it used to be) but Quake will allow 16 people to
connect. If you try to join the game while it is full you'll be
put into a line of people waiting to play, while you wait you
can observe or ride. As soon as somebody who is playing leaves
or becomes an observer the first person in line will join the
game and everybody else will move up.
- Previously the runes would bunch up on certain maps (such
as at the end gate of e2m1), this is fixed.
- There's no "Released from ice trap" message if you're
killed while frozen.
- A few weeks ago I added "enforced team mode", but I forgot
to mention it here. This is a teamplay mode in which there are
either 2 or 3 teams and everybody is required to be on one of
them. (My server is still in deathmatch mode most of the time.)
- Some time last week I changed the electricity rune to give
you 25 cells rather than 10. I think I'm also going to make it
generate cells at about 1 every 5 seconds or so, but that isn't
- Wed 1998-05-13
- The machine the servers run on has been upgraded from a P166 to
a P2 233, plus it has an extra 32M of memory (128M rather than 96M).
I don't expect this will make much difference, for practical purposes.
Expert fans, I'm sorry to say that the QW server will be switched
from Expert to Artifact soon. I've nearly got my Artifact mod generating
both Quake and QW progs from the same source, and I'm going to be running
the QW version on the server once it is working.
- Mon 1998-04-21
- Artifact changes:
- As a workaround for batman villain syndrome, impulse 95
resets your angles. Use this if it seems that your head is
tilted to the side after somebody switches with you or the like.
(Another workaround is to use a teleporter.)
- Vertical movement works properly in observer mode.
- There's a new "rider" mode for observers. This allows you
to follow players around. Press 2 while an observer (impulse
96) to try it out. Both rider mode and observer mode are still
quite buggy. Notably, once you become an observer or a rider
you can't switch back until the next level starts. This and
other glitches will be fixed.
- Wed 1998-04-15
- I dropped e3m7 (The Haunted Halls) and e4m2 (The Tower of
Despair) from the Artifact rotation.
- Mon 1998-04-08
- The server's address has changed from 126.96.36.199 to
188.8.131.52. The name, quake.argon.org, has remained the
same. There's a server running at the old address which just
forwards you to the new address. I'll leave this running for a
while, but not forever, so switch over to using either the name
or the new address.
- Sun 1998-04-08
- Artifact Quake 2.1-rjs-0.2 is released. Here are the changes
- Add run-time configuration switches. See the Configuring
file for details.
- Parameterize quad replacement, long quad respawn delay, LAN
mode, Singe's random level code, non-fatal exit touching, rune
cheat mode, rune dropping on death, picking up your own rune,
consistent rune models.
- Add optional pentagram replacement, fast rune spawning and
long rune drop delay.
- Don't allow the start map hole to appear.
- Improve distribution and prototype handling in Makefile.
- Automatically notice when cvars change rather than checking
them only when people spawn.
- Sun 1998-03-22
- Artifact Quake 2.1-rjs-0.1 is released. This version isn't
configurable yet, it runs just like my server. The exception is that
to get my level switching code you have to set `noexit 3'. The next
release will have most of the features I've added selectable at run
time, see the Todo file for the current list of switches I plan to
Late-breaking features and fixes are:
- The motd wasn't always shown to new connections, this is
- If you have the good health rune you don't lose all your
health at the start of a level.
- Maps e3m2 and e3m3 were added to the small rotation, and
maps e3m6, e3m7, e4m1 and e4m2 were added to the medium rotation.
- I've increased the recharge time on the shield rune from 5
to 6 seconds. Also, hitting the button a second time while the
shield is recharging cancels the pending shield request.
- Trying to exit a level no longer kills you.
- Ice traps and death spots are team-aware.
- There's an observer mode, but it isn't fully functional
yet. Use impulse 96 to try it. Be aware that you'll have to
reconnect or to wait until the next level to switch back to
being a player, and you'll need to use a `down' key to get
- Fri 1998-03-20
- I've finished merging my source with Singe's (and consequently
the bots are gone). As this process was done by hand (due to the
differing formats of the real source and the decompiled source)
there are surely bugs, so please be on the lookout. Additionally,
one new feature and two bug fixes:
- If you have the shielding rune and you hit the button while
it is recharging, it will be activated as soon as it is recharged.
- Previously, if you had one megahealth active and you picked
up a second, the second would respawn in 20 seconds. It now
respawns in 60 seconds.
- There was a bug which was triggered by killing somebody
who had the weirdness rune. The effects varied by what rune
you were carrying. Eg, if you had the phoenix rune and you
killed somebody who had the weirdness rune, you were given 7
resurrections. This is fixed.
- Wed 1998-03-18
- Singe has released the Artifact source! There's a link to it on
He's asked me to re-merge my changes into it for possible inclusion
in a new release (possibly under a different name). I'll be removing
the bots so I can run the result locally for a bit to shake out the
- Mon 1998-03-16
- When I changed the quad respawn time I accidentally changed the
biosuit respawn time as well, this is fixed. Thanks to Player for
telling me about this bug.
- Sun 1998-03-15
- The change to Expert on Thursday introduced a bug which crashed
the server if you entered the end map teleporter on the start level.
That's fixed now.
- Thu 1998-03-12
- At Rain's request, the Expert server doesn't hurt you for
touching an exit.
- Sun 1998-02-08
- In Artifact quad respawns like other powerups now (after 5
minutes rather than 1).
- Sun 1998-02-01
- More artifact changes:
- Runes blink for a few seconds before they disappear.
- If a rune you dropped moves (this happens if it isn't
picked up for a minute or two) you'll be able to pick it up.
- You only get the MOTD when you connect. Previously
you'd get it at the beginning of every level, too. I also
moved the MOTD handling out of the inner loop.
- Sat 1998-01-31
- Two Artifact bug fixes:
If you see either of these bugs (or any other bug) please let me
- You were able to get permanent invulnerability with the
shielding rune by killing somebody who had a rune while your
shields were up. This bug was probably responsible for some
other weird behaviors, too. This was introduced on Tuesday.
Thanks to the people who helped me with this one, particularly
- Sometimes you could get megahealth without having it rot.
This happened if a level ended while you had a megahealth active.
This bug had been around for a while.
- Tue 1998-01-27
- You can no longer pick up the rune you drop when you're killed
(only other players can pick it up). You can get it if somebody
else picks it up and you kill them, though.
- Sat 1998-01-17
- On both servers large levels will never be selected for a small
number of players. All other combinations are still possible. The
| || small || medium || large
| 1-3 || 85% || 15% || -
| 4-6 || 10% || 80% || 10%
| 7+ || 5% || 20% || 75%
- Mon 1998-01-12
- For both servers I've removed end from the map rotation.
In Artifact the shielding rune takes 5 seconds rather than 3 to
recharge. The shield still lasts for 3 seconds.
Also in Artifact, both the good health and the vampiric runes
will rot your health down to 100 after you drop them.
- Mon 1998-01-05
- I updated the level selection code on both servers. The levels
are split into three groups (small, medium and large) rather than
two (small and large) now. The selection goes by 1-3 players, 4-6
players and 7+ players. Also, there's a chance that a level group
which doesn't correspond to the player group is selected. I dropped
the Artifact server down to a maximum of 2 bots.
Artifact bug fixes: Action movie arsenal wouldn't give you the
grenade if you already had the rocket, and vampiric was letting you
suck your teammate's health.
- Sat 1998-01-03
- Some of the runes weren't working, or were only working
partially, for the bots. Eg, previously jumping didn't work if a
bot had it, and a berserk bot wouldn't drip blood, though it had
the damage modifiers. These and similar problems are fixed.
- Fri 1998-01-02
- Batman villain syndrome associated with ice traps is gone. I
haven't been able to fix it when associated with the switch rune.
Also, lightning discharge won't hit people out of water, and you can
use the lightning gun in deeper water without discharging.
- Thu 1998-01-01
- You keep your rune between levels in Artifact now. Also,
though it's sad commentary, I gave in and improved the anti-suicide
Both servers are now frag/time limit 30/20 rather than 50/30.
- Mon 1997-12-15
- Explicitly thrown weird bubbles go further before their velocity
Death spot color tweaked again.
- Sat 1997-11-22
- Death spots are red.
If you die with the radiation rune in an area which is already
irradiated you don't drop an additional radiation point.
The phoenix rune is automatically deleted when you use your last
- Tue 1997-11-18
- I attached my level selection code to the Expert server. The
server will now stick to smaller maps when there are 4 or fewer
players. Also, level selection is randomized.
- Mon 1997-11-17
- A particular rune will always use a particular model. Eg, the
cloaking rune will always be the hell magic model. See the changes page for a list of what's
- Thu 1997-11-06
- I upgraded the Quakeworld server from Expert 1.20 to 1.31.
- Wed 1997-11-05
- Touching someone else's gravity well hurts. This feature was
present in the code already, it just wasn't being triggered
because of a bug.
The electricity, jumping, gravity, repulsion, shambler and
weirdness runes are all team-aware now.
- Mon 1997-10-27
- You're protected from radiation while you're wearing the rad
Most team mode bot glitches are fixed, I can turn team mode on
and off now and the bots react properly. The runes still don't know
anything about team mode.
- Sun 1997-10-26
- I've lowered the number of runes on the level from 24 to 8.
(This is the number of runes on the ground, runes which people are
carrying don't count against this quota.)
Runes won't appear in slime anymore.
- Sat 1997-10-25
- I wrote some code which changes quads into other items (for
now, weapons 5 through 8). This kicks in for all but the first
quad on a level. I added some of the later multi-quad levels into
I also added a grenade launcher to e1m6 (The Door to Chthon)
and put that level into the rotation.
- Mon 1997-10-20
- I merged in the Artifact 2.1 changes. There weren't any
- Sat 1997-10-18
- The too-many-runes bug is fixed.
- Fri 1997-10-17
- Several Artifact tweaks:
- When you die you drop the rune you were using. Incidentally,
there was a bug which caused runes on the ground never to move,
this is fixed.
- Electricity will not appear in water.
- Radiation doesn't hurt you if you placed it or if you have
the radiation rune. If you placed it and you have
the radiation rune it heals you.
- Another bug fix: The environmental protection rune doesn't
- Sun 1997-10-13
- The cloaking rune causes everything you do to be silent now,
previously you made noise when picking up stuff and teleporting. If
you find that you're making noise when you have this rune let me
- Sat 1997-10-04
- PSI's latest attempt to deal with the lag is this: They've
recently installed a new Orlando/Miami T3, and they're going to
switch us over to the POP in Miami so we can be routed over it. It
will take a few weeks for our new T1 to be delivered.
- Wed 1997-10-01
- The bots wait a few seconds at the start of a level now so that
they don't all rush in causing a temporary surplus.
- Thu 1997-09-25
- I fixed the bots-disappearing bug and worked around the DOS
Quake too-many-entities client crash.
I installed Deathray's rune-drop-cancellation idea.
I fixed the spawn frag protection.
- Sun 1997-09-21
- We put the new Ethernet card in. It probably won't actually
help with the lag, that was wishful thinking. PSI still has packet
- Sat 1997-09-20
- I've merged the Reaper bot into the Artifact source. I'm
not allowed to distribute it, but you can do this on your own
using the RIP documents. (I got these
from The Bot
Shop but that no longer seems to be around.) The bots don't
know anything about the runes, though. This screws the game
balance up (camo is almost useless, eg). This will be improved.
The firewalking, death orb, spiky cloud, impact and gravity
runes all give you 1 frag per kill instead of 2.
I upped the vampiric health rot rate from 2x to 5x.
- Wed 1997-09-17
- The environmental protection rune guards against weirdness, and
the vampiric rune allows you to go up to 250 health (but it rots
down to 100, at twice the normal rate).
- Tue 1997-09-16
- The impact rune now puts a super spike over your head.
- Mon 1997-09-15
- I had the guy in Miami swap the card in last night, but it
didn't work off the bat so I had him swap it back out again. It's
a real hassle debugging this sort of thing over the phone and I
was too beat to deal with it, so it will have to wait until next
Sunday. Checking the system logs this morning I found that the
card chose an IRQ which was already used by one of the machine's
SCSI host adapters.
- Tue 1997-09-09
- I've got a new PCI Ethernet card coming in to replace the ISA
card the machine currently has. With luck this will improve the
responsiveness situation some. If I get back early enough on Sunday
night and there's someone in the office in Miami to act as my hands
I'll replace it then, otherwise it might be the Sunday after that
before it can be done.
- Mon 1997-09-08
- I've written an expect script which will reboot either server
if it starts running away (this seems to happen to Artifact every
few days). I'll be away from Wednesday through Sunday so cross your
fingers that it won't fail in practice.